<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, August 20, 2011
the good, the bad and the ugly...

The noise was intolerable. That's what I want to point out right from the get-go. It was intolerable! From the sound of Harley-Davidson motorcycles, to the disco music coming out of the bars, the loud laughter of drunk women, the blasphemies of wicked men... all of it was so loud. Trying to preach the Gospel loud enough so that people could hear me was quite a chore, and I don't know how successful I was at being heard.

The market was quite busy. It was good to have Brother Rod with us; he gave out a fair number of tracts while Pastor Tim and I took turns at preaching the Gospel. It was an interesting night of evangelism. Great ups, terrible and annoying downs. I trust the Lord was glorified by our efforts.

The Good

A number a Christians came by to thank me for my efforts. Many of them encouraged me with kind words. An elderly couple showed me much grace. A woman also came by and told me she would pray for me and blessed me greatly with kindness. The Lord reward these kind brothers and sisters.

About an hour into our night of evangelism, a woman stood across the street from where I was preaching. She listened attentively for several minutes, and then she crossed the street to receive and Gospel tract and to speak to me. She asked me why I stood there, and preached in the marketplace. I explained to her how the Lord had given His Church a Great Commission in the Bible, and that is why I was preaching His Gospel in the market. She marveled. She thanked me and said 'goodnight'. The Lord show her mercy. (It should be noted that I actually had a near exact exchange with a young man about an hour later... the Lord show favour unto him as well!)

The Bad

I dealt with a young man who claimed to be a Christian during the first half hour of our evangelistic effort. He had a tatoo of the Romanist "jesus" on his chest, and Psalm 23 on his back (the whole psalm!). The young man was with a scantily clad woman who was smoking marijuana, and he himself reeked of alcohol. I told the young man that he couldn't serve two masters. He took exception to my observations claiming that we were brothers and that I shouldn't have judged him. I tried, on several occasions to point out that his way of life didn't show forth fruit unto salvation, but he would have nothing of it. He left holding on to the belief that the Lord would instantly forgive his sin and that we were brothers. The Lord save him from his delusions.

Moments later, I dealt with a couple of young ladies who also claimed to be Christians. Both of them had way too much make-up on, and both were dressed pretty immodestly. I told them that I didn't believe they were honoring God in the marketplace. The answer I got back pretty much summed up their spiritual situation: "Not everything needs to honour God." Oh dear...

The Ugly

Two incidents, both involving homosexuals. It never ceases to amaze me how that particular group of people, who often claim to be victims of discrimination and hatred, show us so much vile hatred and violence.

A lesbian walked up to me tonight and cursed at me. Repeatedly. The woman was probably in her 40s. If it had been an 18 year old, I could have marked it down as immaturity, but forty years old and telling a stranger to "f%#k off"? Quite disgraceful.

Later, a couple of sodomites, with just 5 minutes left to our night of evangelism, broke one of our Bible signs and began to run off with it. Not even thinking of my safety (which was stupid), I chased them into a parking garage. I was furious and annoyed. I managed to get the sign back and it wasn't until I got home an hour later that I realized that had those men been up for a fight, I would have been in big trouble. Providencially, the Lord saved me from, well, me.

I'm still such a hot-head, and that annoys me just as much as the persecuting homos. It was just a sign. Easily replaceable. Not a big deal. Yet, I was in a rage against the wicked men... not exactly Christ-like. The Lord help me to be more gracious...

"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously." (1 Peter 2:21-23)

Remember us in your prayers, dear saints.

Have a blessed week-end, especially the Lord's Day.


Rand

Labels:

12:54 AM
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    God continue to bless and protect you, eh! Your work in your city is inspirational.

     
  • Post a Comment  
    Permalink