<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

My Charismatic Experience - Part 2

Thursday, September 28, 2006
I actually do know what I'm talking about...

(Make sure you read part 1 before reading this post)

My mother went through weeks, perhaps even months, neglecting to take any medication for her terrible ailment, since it had been made clear to her that she had been healed by the Holy Spirit. All she had to do, was believe. The prophecies were uttered, the prayers were made, the hands of healers had come and gone. The deal was done.

One problem: my mother was as sick as ever.

If anything, my poor mother was in the worst shape ever since she had stopped taking her medications which had brought her some relief. She soldiered on for some time thinking (perhaps hoping) that the Lord was just testing her faith, but it didn't take too long for us to conclude the very obvious: my mother was never healed of anything.

It wasn't long after this realization that my mother went back on her medications which brought her some physical relief, but ushered in some serious aggravation from some of her "Christian brothers and sisters". You see, in everyone's eyes, my mother's decision could only mean one of three things:

1- The prophecies/healings were 100% bogus.

2- My mother had some terrible sin in her life which kept the Holy Spirit from doing His work.

3- My mother lacked the long-term faith necessary to attain unto the said healing.

For months, my mother investigated all three of the above possibilities, causing her much heartache. I wasn't so thorough. At this point, possibility # 1, as far as I was concerned, was the most likely explanation, but I was no slouch, the young scientist in me took over. Every prophecy, every tongue babbling, every miracle claim was observed, analyzed and even scrutinized.

The results of my "charismatic experiment" was a real disappointment, and the conclusion was unquestionable: charismatic "churches" are NOT faithful, New Testament churches. Are there true, born-again saints in charismatic churches? Certainly. Are they faithful churches? Absolutely not.

What has brought me to such a conclusion? What, exactly, is it that I have observed which has brought me to such a cut and dry conclusion? Click here!


Rand

Labels:

10:01 AM
  • At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Susan Delaney said…

    I am sorry for the experience you had. Please let me pose this question to you: If you walked into a Baptist church and observed something you knew was not spriritually right, would you say that all Baptist churches are wrong?

    I appreciate your zeal to know the truth. I have been in a "charismatic" church since 1996, and I can say with all confidence that God led me there. My pastors acknowledge that, especially in the 70's 80's, charismatic movement..there was alot that was not right, but we don't throw out God's gifts because someone else was immature and not led by the Holy Spririt. Even today..I see in both the charismatic and denominational churches many are falling into error. So you see I agree we must base what we believe on the Word of God infallible.

    I am so saddened by my brothers and sisters in Christ in other denominations calling us heretics because we operate in the gifts of the Spirit. It's in the Bible and there is nothing that says that speaking in tongues was only for people "way back when".

    I beg you, please pray about this, sir. Ask God to show you all truth... and study His Word....It seems to me your beliefs on this are colored by your experience...not what God's word says.

    Respectfully and With Love in Christ,

    Susan M. Delaney

     
  • At 12:12 AM, Blogger Rand said…

    If you walked into a church and observed something you knew was not spriritually right, would you say that all Baptist churches are wrong?

    That depends. If this something is doctrinal/theological, as in, it is part of the churches teachings and practices, then yes, yes I would. I’m not being cute here either. For example, Reform Baptist church hold to a doctrine called Amillenialism. I reject Amillenialism, therefore I would say that all Reform Baptist churches are wrong.

    The practice of sign gifts is a charismatic doctrine/practice. I reject this doctrine/practice. Follow the logic above.

    As for the rest of your comment, Susan, I’ve dealt with your positions quite adequately in my series against the Charismatic Movement. I stand by every word. You can choose to believe that “the Lord led you there”, but I must respectfully disagree.

    I do not let my experiences taint my theology, but I do learn from my experiences. And as for God’s Word, you needn’t worry, I apply myself to the Word of God. It is through the Bible that I learned that sign gifts would end (1 Corinthians 13:10)… it is through the Bible that I learned to judge the fruit (Matthew 7:15-20)… it is through the Bible that I learned the true definition of holiness (1 Peter 1:13-25).

    I assure you, as a Charismatic, you have NO IDEA what is described in the above references, but if YOU study, and pray, like myself, you may very well be saved out of the error you are now in.

    Very respectfully,

    Rand

     
  • Post a Comment  
    Permalink