<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

The Christian and the Whorehouse

Monday, June 13, 2005
reaching the lost???

This post is in response to a question a visitor named Doug asked me just this afternoon (see the comment box of my post on Romanism). What I will be discussing is a very popular concept in Christians who have been severely influenced by New Evangelicalism and Arminianism.


New Evangelicalism: a repudiation of the doctrine of separation; a summons to greater social involvement; and a determination to engage in theological dialogue with Modernism.

Arminianism: 16th century theology (named after its founder Jacobus Arminius) that opposes absolute election/predestinarianism.


The Question: Is it proper for a Christian to remain in a thoroughly wicked environment like a strip club in an attempt to reach the immoral for Christ? (I know this isn't your question Doug, but just bear with me a minute)

I have to say that it absolutely blows me away to think that there is a high number of Christians out there who would say "yes, absolutely" to this question. As I mentioned above, if you really don't believe that God has chosen His people since before the foundation of the world and that Christ will NOT lose any that the Father has given Him, then I can understand your affirmative answer (though I can't understand what in the world you do with Ephesians 1:4 and John 6:39). If your philosophy is more compassion, less holiness (which is separation, check the definition of the word holy), then again, I understand your affirmative answer (though I don't have the foggiest idea what you do with 1 Peter 1:15-16).

These foolish souls will often argue that "Jesus himself kept company with sinners in places of ill repute!" My answer: "but what a lamentable understanding of Scripture!" Their supposed Scriptural backing is in Mark 2:14-17 (there are parallel passages in Matthew and Luke). I ask you: what was this place that the Lord lodged in that was "of ill repute?" A heathen temple? A house of debauchery? Uh...no. It was Matthew's house for crying out loud! Yes, the apostle Matthew! Tax collectors were not the sweetest of people in those days (one could argue that they haven't improved much today... LOL!), so when Jesus called Matthew to salvation and service, Matthew joyfully made a feast and invited his unbelieving friends, TO BE A WITNESS TO THESE SOULS!

The true and godly answer to the question above is an obvious: "No!" God doesn't need anyone going into a house of active immorality to bring the Gospel to His elect. You want to reach the strippers and the perverts for Christ? Wait outside, they'll come out eventually. Your refusal to be defiled by the goings on in the strip club will in itself be a witness. The Bible warns us to not put ourselves in positions where we could be tempted or be hardened by sin (1 Corinthians 10:12; Hebrews 3:13): OBEY FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! (just think of Lot, for example, look at the impact living in Sodom had on his life)


Now... Doug's REAL Question: can a born again Christian remain in the "Roman Catholic Church" to try to reach others?

Well, Doug, look above, I believe you have my answer my friend. Is the false religion in Revelation 17 called a whore? Is idolatry not spiritual immorality?

Friends, STAY AWAY FROM THE ROMANIST WHORE!

You want to reach Romanists for Christ? Wait outside, they'll come out of mass at some point. You want to be a strong witness for the Truth? "Keep yourselves from idols" (1 John 5:21) and stay out of mass. Again, OBEY THE BIBLE:

"And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty." (2 Corinthians 6:14-18)

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." (Romans 18:4)


Rand