<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Wow!

Sunday, May 07, 2006
now that was something...

Yesterday, we spent the day at our sending church which is roughly 1 hour out of town. We were there for an ordination ceremony for the head pastor. I had never been to an ordination service before, so the whole thing was quite the learning experience. This is how we spent the day:

1- A time of corporate prayer (2 hours)

2- Formation of an examination council, composed of pastors and members from other churches of like faith, followed by the examination (aka "grilling"... lol) of the pastor to be ordained (4 hours)

3- Then we were booted out of the sanctuary so that the ordination council could deliberate whether they would recommend the ordination of the pastor. They did. (30 minutes)

4- The church members (which includes me) then consider the recommendation of the ordination council and vote for or against the ordination of the pastor. We voted for... unanimously. (30 minutes)

5- Finally, the day was capped with an ordination service which included the singing of hymns, a sermon from guest preacher (and he was great!), and then, following the pattern of Scripture, the men of the church layed their hands on the pastor and prayed for him (Acts 13:2; 1 Timothy 4:14; 2 Timothy 1:6)

Listening to these great men of the Faith dissecting the church's doctrinal statement was a real treat. Our pastor answered the questions well, and his testimonies of both how he was saved and how he was called to the ministry were truly inspiring. It was a really, really blessed day.

I realized something, after witnessing these pastors' conversations and general behaviour: what a spiritual pipsqueak I am! I mean these men, in word and action, are without question great soldiers of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord be gracious to me, to make me and shape me into such a faithful, godly man.

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." (Philippians 2:12-13)


Rand