<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, July 29, 2006
back to the streets...

After a two week absence, the Lord allowed my pastor, brother Laz, brother Pascal and I to go out to the marketplace for some serious evangelism. We stayed out for our usual 3 hours of street preaching and bible tract distribution (with a number of Gospel signs). Things went really well tonight. A little mockery here and there, a few curses, but all and all, it was a good night.

Again though, the summer season really brings the worse out of the people who come to the marketplace for the "night life" of the city. Lewd behaviour, drunkenness, and all other manner of sin surrounds us on Friday nights; it's everywhere! I prayed several times tonight that the Lord would keep my eyes from beholding vile sin and/or wickedness that would tempt my sinful flesh. He was faithful (as He always is).

Here are some of tonight's events which still echoes in my mind:


Trying to make their own rules:

I had a conversation with a young couple tonight. Both of them, in different ways, were trying to justify their way of life, trying hard to get me to acknowledge that they were Christians.

"Are you born-again?" I asked.

Neither of them knew what to answer.

"You are not Christians then." I continued. "Except a man be born-again, he cannot enter the Kingdom of God (John 3:3). You don't even know what "born-again" means! How can you be Christians?"

I then started explaining that the second birth is the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit, changing the heart of sinners to come after the Good Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ, and that the Lord used the hearing and reading of His Bible to effect the second birth. Sadly, neither of them wanted any part of what I was saying. Both got very emotional and agitated, but in the end, she wanted to continue to follow the god of her own mind (she had no use for the Scriptures), and he just wanted to be justified because he was a "good guy".

I brought down every one of their foolish arguments with absolute ease, but they just hardened their hearts and walked away. I would have feared that my time with these two souls was a waste of time, but they were so emotional and so vexed, I'm hoping the Lord will give them no rest tonight, and will grant them both the second birth, through the Word of God.


Immodest woman # 1:

A woman wearing a mini-skirt and a low cut top walked over to brother Laz and I and said:

"Wow! it's really good that you guys are doing this! I'm a Christian too!"

I pointed to her pack of cigarettes and said:

"Look at yourself, Miss. You are immodestly dressed walking about the marketplace with your pack of cigarettes... why in the world would I believe you are saved? You look EXACTLY like a lost, worldly soul!"

She said that I was right, but she was quite unrepentant. She let out an embarrassed laugh as she admitted that she was NOT properly dressed, nor did she behave like a Christian. She tried to justify herself by saying:

"Oh well, I'm just 25... I have plenty of time to repent."

"You might not have as much time as you think, Miss," I rebuked.

With that she just walked away. Let us pray that the Lord will sober up this poor woman, before it's too late.


Immodestly dressed woman # 2:

Again, a woman who had a blouse so far open, you could see her bra for every possible angle. She too claimed to be a Christian.

"No, no... I don't think so," I replied.

"Of course I'm a Christian," she retorted, "I go to the United church!"

"Well, that makes a lot of sense," I answered. "The only thing the United church isn't "united" with is God! And you are walking proof of the depravity of your religion. I can't even look at you... you are not dressed!"

The woman walked away with her nose in the air. The Lord show her mercy, and save her from the folly of the so-called "United church".


We indeed have a testimony!

Three young ladies interrupted my preaching and asked:

"Is there anything special going on tonight? You Christians are everywhere!"

I started laughing. There were four of us. FOUR! But praise God, just like He used a few men to turn the world upside down, the Lord used us to turn the marketplace into a center of evangelism.


With that, dear reader, I'm turning in for the night. Have a blessed weekend, and a glorious Lord's Day.


Rand