<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Saturday Notes

Tuesday, July 04, 2006
lots of preaching... little change...

I apologize for taking so long to update you all on our day of evangelism on Canada Day (July 1st) ; it's been a very busy weekend, and to be honest, I was a bit of a mess after the whole experience. Don't worry, it's not like anything overly dramatic took place... other than thousands and thousands of people rejecting the Gospel of Truth that could save them, preferring the broad road that leads to destruction (Matthew 7:13).

I had a lot of trouble sleeping both Saturday night and Sunday night. The thought of all those people... those hundreds of thousands... cursing and blaspheming the Lord... well... it was tough to watch and hear. I'm not an emotional guy. I'm really not. But Saturday night, I just wanted to cry. I'm feeling better now, but I think that's just because the experience isn't as fresh in my mind.

Here are some echoes from last Saturday...


Rand and a man on a bicycle:

The man stopped right in front of me as I was preaching. He just sat on his bike and mumbled something inaudible. I got closer to hear what he was saying. In a very slow, and low voice, he said:

"I hope you, one day, jump out of a plane without a parachute."


Rand and four young men, who were all under the influence of alcohol:

"So we're a little drunk," one of the young men began, "but we're still cool with the Bible, man. I mean we all believe in all that."

"Did you ever read the Bible my friend," I asked politely.

"Uh... well... no," they all replied.

"How do you then know whether you are cool with the Bible?" I inquired.

"That's a good point," two of them replied.

"Guys," I continued, "60% of the people behind you would call themselves Christians and yet none of them today are following Jesus."

"That's another good point," the same two replied.


A portion of Rand's preaching:

"Friends, every time we sing our national anthem, we sing the phrase "God keep our land, glorious and free", and my question is: do you really think the Lord will answer that request favourably if at every turn, you curse and blaspheme His holy name by word or by action? The Bible says not to deceive ourselves; God is not mocked: whatever a man sows, he'll reap. Do you all think God is kidding? That He somehow doesn't mean what He says?

Friends, seek God! Seek God honestly, seek Him earnestly. Seek Him by reading your Bibles, by going to a Bible believing, Bible preaching church on the Lord's Day, by talking with us Christians or by taking one of our Bible tracts. Whatever you do, seek God favour by doing what is right and good in His eyes.

Only then will you be able to sing our national anthem as something other than hypocrites.


Rand and three ladies (a grandmother, mother and a little girl):

"We want to thank you for preaching here," the grandmother said, "you're doing a good thing."

"Thank you," I replied. "Are you Christians?"

"Yes we are," the grandmother replied, "born-again in Jesus!"

"Amen," I said, "now let me ask you, sister, what are you doing here? There is nothing good going on in this place except for the work of the evangelists. This is a street party by the wicked, and for the wicked. You shouldn't be taking your little one to such an event. Christians shouldn't be celebrating the anniversary of our depraved land, we should be weeping for it, and asking God to heal our land by prayer and fasting."

"You're right," the woman conceded. "We're leaving this place right now."


Rand and his pastor, after the over 7 hours of street evangelism:

"You know Rand," my pastor began, "today, we gave the Gospel to more people than most Christians today do in their entire lifetime."

"Kind of sad, isn't it?" I replied.


There's a whole lot more, but that's all I'll share with you for tonight. To go through all the events of the day with you would take up a whole lot of webspace; it truly is unbelievable the number of people we have had some sort of interaction with on Canada Day. In that respect, it was a good day.

I want to close this post with a few words of gratitude to some truly remarkable souls. First, a big thank you to my darling wife who joined us in our day of evangelism, due to our small numbers. She was truly a trooper; she spent the entire day with us, holding a Gospel sign and distributing Bible tracts.

I also want to thank all the kind souls who prayed for us and sent me kind, encouraging e-mails. I got up on Saturday morning only to find foolish comments and wicked messages on my computer screen which is the last thing I needed on such a stressful, tough day. But when I got back home, I found a series of warm, blessed e-mails which comforted me greatly. A big thank you to all you who sent me these e-mails. You know who you are. Your compassion and love refreshed me greatly. I will not soon forget your sweet words. The Lord reward you abundantly.

Later,


Rand