<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, August 25, 2007
Hell will be well populated...


Hot and humid weather equals a very busy Friday Night in the marketplace. There were thousands of souls in the market tonight, all of them out to enjoy the "night life" of my city. Well, almost all. There were these two quacks carrying Gospel signs, handing out Bible literature and preaching that all should repent and believe in Jesus.

Crazy, huh?

Kidding aside, I do admit that I sometimes find myself wondering: what in the world am I doing? Why am I one of these quacks with a Gospel sign doing the exact contrary to what the thousands are doing? Why is it that my city's "night life" draws in so many souls, and yet, repulse me like dung? Then, I'm reminded of St-Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 1:18...

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. "

The Lord saved me... that's why I walk around downtown streets proclaiming the Gospel of Truth for three hours every Friday. The Lord has done so much for me, it is my reasonable service that I should give my all for Him. Again, the words of the apostle Paul:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:1-2)

I shared all this to a young lady and her boyfriend tonight. They wondered what I was doing with my 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 sign. When I explained, she pointed out that this way of thinking was pretty extreme or fanatical. To that I responded:

"It surely is, miss! Listen, like the apostle Paul, "to live", for me, "is Christ and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21). Being willing to die for a belief, that's extreme! But you see, miss, the Lord laid His life down for me. He saved me from my sin. He saved me from the horrific consequence of my sin. How could I live any other way, than in complete devotion to such a wonderful Saviour?"

To my surprise, all that really touched her. She said that what I was doing was truly admirable (this was quite a change from her first impressions of me). They took a Gospel tract from me and wished me well. The Lord bless them, and if He wills, save them.

Other than this brief, positive exchange, the night was a pretty rough one. We weren't roughed up physically, we weren't even threatened in the least, but the vile mockery and blasphemy was grievous. Some of the things unconverted people say and do when exposed to the Gospel is truly distressing. They glory in being condemned. They count their sins and laugh. There is no fear, no concern that they will one day, answer to the Sovereign of the Universe. Terrible. Yet again, the apostle Paul in Romans 1:28-32...

"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

Pastor Tim and I were good and faithful soldiers of the Cross again tonight. We dealt with a few individuals one-on-one (for the most part, it was quite unprofitable), we gave out some Bible literature, and we did our utmost to communicate the Gospel to all who were in the market. I have plenty of observations and details I would like to give you, dear readers, but I'm too tired and weary. It's been a busy week, and I'm exhausted.

Please continue to pray for us, this Lord's Day afternoon is the cursed "Pride parade". We will be there with our Gospel signs, protesting this most evil of spectacles.

Have a blessed weekend, dear readers.


Rand

Labels: