<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

The Compassionate Left???

Monday, January 10, 2005
Another right-wing rant I'm afraid...

When street preaching the Gospel, I am often approached by people wanting to know just how far I go into following the Bible literally. My answer usually manages to stun them; that despite the fact that they find me in sub-zero degree weather, standing on a street corner, preaching salvation in Christ Jesus (go figure!). The following questions (if not charges) then come:

-Well, what about __________ ?

The blank can be filled by any one of these: "gay rights, a woman right to choose (to murder that is), the spiritual merits of other religions (like Islam, Buddhism, Roman Catholicism...etc)." And again, my answer usually manages to stun. The usual responce I receive afterward is (and we'll use the merits of Islam for this example):

-You mean, you believe every Muslim in the world is condemned? Well, I just can't believe that a loving God would do that! That's pretty harsh AND RIGHT-WING! I'm far more compassionate!

And there you have it. The charge is simple: the Lefties are compassionate, the Right-wing religious types (like Your's Truly) are harsh and cold. The first time I was faced with this response I thought to myself: "Hmm...I guess that is kind of harsh." But that feeling didn't last too long. Why? BECAUSE I WAS STANDING ON A STREET CORNER, FREEZING IN SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURES, ON A STREET CORNER, PREACHING THE GOSPEL TO PEOPLE. I speak the truth, and I'm not lying or kidding when I say that street evangelism is the most loving thing I do for my fellow man; it is quite demanding on me every week, but I am constrained by God to show compassion to my countrymen.

So, what's up with this "compassionate Left" nonsense? Well, let me tell you what Jack Layton of the NDP, or John Kerry of the DNC, or the ACLU offers people that old Rand here doesn't. No! it isn't compassion, it's LICENSE. There is a HUGE difference.

Compassion: Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it.

License: Lack of due restraint; excessive freedom. Heedlessness for the precepts of proper behavior.

I sacrifice my Friday nights to preach the Gospel to a wicked generation because I am deeply aware of the sufferings that is to come to those who refuse to receive the Truth that is in Christ Jesus; and nothing would make me happier than to see them relieved of their coming condemnation.

What do the "lefties" bring? When people want immorality without consequence, they give them condoms, and if that doesn't do the trick, they bring in abortion. When the people want to make homosexuality acceptable, they give them gay marriage. When the lost want to get doped up, they give them clean syringes and a pat on the back. None of this is proper/godly behaviour. The Left sells license, not compassion.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, everyone wants to feel justified, even the most wicked. I just hope this post will shake up the self-induced deception that I, and my Christian brothers and sisters, lack compassion.

The most compassionate commandment in history: "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out."