<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

The Wicked, the Compromiser and the Fundamentalist (part IV)

Tuesday, May 15, 2007
my thoughts...

(Click here for Part I of this series)
(Click here for Part II of this series)
(Click here for Part III of this series)

I want to conclude my series on the interaction between Ahab, Jehoshaphat and Micaiah found in 1 Kings 9 and 2 Chronicles 18 with a few personal thoughts.

First, this account is EXTREMELY relevant to our present day situation. The world is full of Ahabs, and the vast majority of Christians are of the Jehoshaphat type. Without a shadow of a doubt. The Micaiahs are few and far between.

You don't buy it? Consider this: how many pastors did George W. Bush have in his corner to "justify" the Iraq war? How many Christian leaders "helped the ungodly" in matters they knew nothing about? From Jerry Falwell to John MacArthur, all went before the television cameras and proclaimed that they, and by extension, God, were with President Bush in his endeavour to defend America and liberate Iraq. All of them made affinity with the President and treated him as one with them; that is, a Christian. You could hardly find one single Micaiah who would state the absolutely truth about the Iraq situation: "I don't know anything about it, Mr. President, I'm not of this world, my citizenship is in Heaven." Still today, even with his evil fruit showing for all to see, it is difficult to find one Micaiah who will challenge the President's claim to be born-again. Unbelievable.

This is but one example out of many that show forth the complete lack of fundamentalism in the church today. By fundamentalism, I don't mean those who call themselves fundamentalists in the U.S.; for by in large, they are traditionalists, not fundamentalists. By fundamentalism, I mean being a Micaiah. Saying: "Thus saith the Lord", plus/minus NOTHING.

By fundamentalism, I mean being "doers of the word, and not hearers only" (James 1:22). "Doers the Word" don't waste time with Hollywood movies, ungodly TV shows, and vain activities.

By fundamentalism, I mean a boldness to "preach the word in season and out of season" (2 Timothy 4:2); and yes, that means you still have to preach when no one wants to hear it (that is, after all, what "out of season" means). And no, you are not fulfilling this charge by debating Calvinism in some internet forum.

By fundamentalism, I mean: "be ye separate" (2 Corinthians 6:17). If someone isn't preaching the Truth, or walking in the Truth... separate! Don't hang out with the wicked or with compromisers because it is a sure bet that before you make them into anything other than a wicked/compromising soul, they will make of you a wicked/compromising soul.

Do you find this too extreme? Too difficult? Consider Jehoshaphat and Micaiah again, and then consider which of these you really want to be. You can never attain unto Micaiah's reward without his manner of life. If you live like Jehoshaphat, you'll wind up with Jehoshaphat-type messes. Guaranteed. You will reap what you sow (Galatians 6:7)

Finally if, after reading this post, you've come to the conclusion that you are definitely NOT a Micaiah, and you want to do something about it... well... get serious! You have the Bible, now just do it! Don't look to the right or to the left, and remember: it isn't only the Ahabs you should be wary of. The Jehoshaphats of the present will cause you nothing but grief, and will be no help to you at all. Jehoshaphats, while ultimately saved by grace, are compromisers and all they will encourage you to do in the end, is compromise.

I'm not saying that any of this is easy, nor am I suggesting that I have attained unto some "Super-Micaiah-Christian" status. It is however my daily aim, and by making it my objective, I often have success in being a true fundamentalist for the Truth. There is a cost associated with this though: loss of Christian friends, family troubles, being seen as an obstinate non-conformist... etc. I have, by God's grace (and on numerous occasions now), paid that price.

Have you?


Rand

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

Labels: , ,