<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, April 11, 2009
to say I was afraid is an understatement...


I don't know if I'm going to like this post... I don't know if I should even be writing at this particular moment. My mind is going at 100 miles per hour and there are all sorts of feelings griping me right now. It would probably be wise for me to wait 'till tomorrow to write this week's notes, but then again, I feel that it's important for me to be honest and transparent with you, dear readers. It's important for me to show, at the very least, a little weakness/vulnerability.

Pastor Tim and I were assaulted by one seriously angry man tonight. We were actually on our way back home (we weren't even preaching or handing out tracts), when three men walked towards us... one of them took a swing at my Bible sign and violently pushed me. Two of the three men were breathing threats at us, but only one man was doing damage. For several minutes the man kicked, punched and finally broke our Bible signs. Whenever we tried to stop him, we would be pushed around (the man was strong as an ox).

We tried on several occasions to calm the man with appeals to calmness, but the response was yet more violence. Things were getting out of hand, and that very quickly. While pastor Tim was doing his best to keep the two other men from doing any more harm, the more violent man started pushing me around, yelling for me to run (something I couldn't do... there was no way I was leaving pastor Tim behind). After a few seconds of that nonsense, I managed to evade him long enough that he went back to thrashing our signs. That's when I took out my cellphone:

"9-1-1..." the operator began.

"I need the police at Clarence and Dalhousie RIGHT NOW!!!" I exclaimed.

The police showed up in just under a minute, and by then the men just wanted to walk away (they had seen me talking on my cellphone... one man even threatened to destroy it). One of the men claimed that I had instigated the whole situation by... you're going to love this... hitting one of the men with my sign as they walked by. Both pastor Tim and I laughed. The police didn't buy it either. We were told that the men would be "spoken to" and that they would be receiving tickets for disorderly conduct. I doubt the men truly got either one, but by then, I was just glad we had made it out of that situation with no injury. We thanked the police and made our way to pastor Tim's house... where we prayed for these lost souls.

Now here's where this post may get messy... and I'm all to aware that this account is read by several saints, and will even be posted in a church. I feel like I shouldn't make a big deal about this sad event. That I should show strength and an unflappable confidence in the Lord. Problem is, I don't feel strong at all right now, and I have to confess that it took a couple of hours for my hands to stop shaking. Is this cowardly? I don't think so, since, I assure you, by God's grace, I will be at my post next week. I'll be afraid for some time, but I'll be there.

I feel so absolutely useless in these situation. For those of you who have never seen me, I'm 5 foot something, 100 pounds nothing. I am about as non-threatening as you can get, which has always facilitated the formation of friendships, but sadly, it has also facilitated being taken advantage of by my enemies. So basically, when things get nasty, I'm done... which means pain and suffering for me (which I obviously don't like), but even worse, means heartache for my family and friends. That REALLY bothers me. Is this pride?

Okay... I'm done now... if I keep dwelling on this, it will be an occasion for the devil. I have to abide in Christ, and have Him be my strength and peace.

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. " (Philippians 4:4-7)

I do have some good to report... while our night of evangelism didn't end well, our three hours of preaching was profitable. We handed out lots of Bible tracts tonight, far more than normal, and that despite the fact that the marketplace wasn't all that busy.

Speaking of tracts, a young man walked by me in our first hour of preaching and after accepting a Bible tract, he threw it in my face. His friend, seeing the whole incident was apologetic and took the tract. They both then walked away. About an hour after that, the young man who threw the tract at me spoke to pastor Tim (I was away handing out tracts further down the street). He said he wanted to apologize for what he had done. The Lord show him much mercy for his humility.

A number of people spoke to us tonight, and a higher number still stopped to read our Bible signs... the Lord use His Word as He sees fit!

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." (1 Peter 1:23)

With that, I close the notes, dear readers. I actually think I can sleep now. Please continue to pray for me, dear saints.

Have a blessed long weekend. Enjoy the Lord's Day!


Rand

Labels: