<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, July 04, 2009
whole lot of preaching this week...



That poor Bible sign in the above picture... it had a rough night. Two or three times it was kicked to the ground by sin-hardened souls who felt the need to express their hatred of the Gospel. It's a tough crowd we preach to every Friday.

It rained for much of the day, and even part of the evening, so up until 9pm, both pastor Tim and I thought our regular night of street preaching was lost; but the weather cleared up so we made our way to the market, Bible signs in hand, and we preached the Gospel of Jesus for about two hours. The market wasn't terribly busy, but we still shared the Gospel with hundreds of sinners. We didn't hand out too many Bible tracts though, and our audience was quite unreceptive to our preaching... and that's putting it mildly.

I did speak with a woman who appreciated what we were doing. She seemed to know the Bible fairly well, but it was clear that she had been deceived by the ecumenical movement. She spoke much of the need for denominations to come together, so I made my position clear. I explained to her, using Nehemiah as an example, that getting together with God's enemies and/or those who cleave to errors isn't the Biblical Unity; rather, it is the mixing of clean and unclean (and that mixture always yields uncleanness). She took my rebuke rather well. She even took one of our tracts and said she'd try to visit our church sometime. I really hope she does.

I also had a fairly long conversation with a man who claimed to have both been a Baptist and a "Jehovah's Witness". He expressed, in no uncertain terms, that he had little time for our evangelism. He was going to speak to me because he figured "my heart was in the right place", and he figured he was going to educate me in the Truth. It should be noted here that the man reeked of alcohol. He went on and on, giving me "Jehovah's Witness" apologetics, claiming that my Gospel was a perversion.

"If you died right now, where would you spend eternity?" I asked, disregarding all his nonsense.

At first, the man ignored my question, and continued with the JW sales pitch, making sure to add, at very regular intervals: "you don't know the truth... I'll teach you!" When I pressed him a second, third and fourth time with my question, he finally answered:

"I'm dead, 'cause I've fallen away."

"No," I replied. "You're not "dead" because you've fallen away from WatchTower-ism, you're dead because God never saved you, and to this night, you are rebelling against God's commandments."

"If you knew the truth," the man replied angrily, "you wouldn't be standing here with this placard, you'd be..."

"Drinking booze in that bar with you?" I replied.

Having touched his obvious hypocrisy, the man just walked away. The Holy Spirit reprove this poor man for his sin.

After these two conversations, all pastor Tim and I got was cursings and threats. The horrible blasphemies that were uttered were also truly grievous. After our two hours of evangelism, I wanted to literally run out of the market.

What a vile place we labour in.


That's the notes for tonight.

Dear readers, have a good weekend and a blessed Lord's Day.


Rand

Labels: