<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, February 20, 2010
that was a whole lot of preaching...


It was a mild night, weather wise, in the marketplace tonight. That's a good thing. Another good thing is that I got my partner in street preaching back... well... sort of. Pastor Tim was back with me tonight but his virus/infection kept him from preaching, so I got all the preaching duty and he gave out Gospel tracts. The Lord rewarded his zeal to return to the evangelistic endeavour: he gave out an insane number of tracts!

Tract distribution most certainly wasn't my forte tonight. In the first two hours (TWO HOURS!!!), I probably only gave out 2 tracts. However, the Lord helped me preach for long stretches and that, with minimum disruption. I did get a lit cigarette thrown at me, had obscenities yelled at me a number of times, and one man threatened to destroy one of our Bible signs; but all that is par for the course when your a Gospel street preacher. Like I often say to my wife:

"How in the world did I get into this business?" (heh heh!)

Twice tonight I was given the chance to preach to large groups of young people. It's always interesting to see how different people behave in a group. In both cases, 80-90% of the people mocked, and insulted me; but there was a 10-20% who very obviously were grieved at how their peers treated me and my faith. I often pray that the Lord would use such moments to open the eyes of these few souls.

"Enter ye in at the straight gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and MANY there be which go in thereat: because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and FEW there be that find it." (Matthew 7:13-14, emphasis mine)

Our third hour of evangelism was by far the best. I finally started handing out tracts in good number, I had a couple of one-on-one conversations with sinners (no signs of repentance to report I'm afraid), pastor Tim had a nice conversation with an off-duty police officer who professed faith in Christ, and a high number of people stopped and read our Bible signs. I hope and pray that the Lord will use all this to save some of our audience tonight. May He be glorified by our efforts.

On our way home, twice we had cars drive by and the occupants yelled out obscenities at us. I thought that was quite remarkable since pastor Tim's house is just a couple of blocks away from the market. Anyway, I decided to have a little fun with the situations. On both occasions, when the f-bombs were hurled at us, I turned to pastor Tim and said:

"I think they were talking to you."

-------

Good night, dear readers. Have a restful weekend, and a glorious Lord's Day.


Rand

Labels: