<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Synthetic Cursing

Wednesday, April 13, 2005
we got to stop this...


"DARN it to HECK! I can't believe Billy believes that load of CRAP. I mean JEEEZ, what is he thinking. I tried and tried to talk some sense into him, but OH MY GOSH, he's stubborn."


I apologize in advance to all the good and faithful Christians reading the above phrases and are offended. Your reaction is appropriate. I still felt it was important for me to post it as an example. You see, in the above four little phrases, we have a remarkable four blasphemies, and one gross word that any civil human would avoid using (non-Christian's included).

So why in the world are Christians using such words? Ah! because they aren't the actual, letter-for-letter words. You see they are "simulated" blasphemies; switch an "M" for an "R" and there you go Christian, have fun!

This is stupid. Everyone knows what words "darn", "heck", "crap", "jeeez", and "oh my gosh" come from, and everyone knows that a Christian should not use these words in vain. Oh, I'm not going to pretend I have never used these words, but I'm not going to make any excuses for my sin; because it is sin.

We need to remind ourselves of this:

"In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, SOUND SPEECH, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you." (Titus 2:7-8)

"If any man among you seem to be religious, and BRIDLETH NOT HIS TONGUE, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain." (James 1:26)

Christians, don't pretend-curse, rather glorify God with your every word. We are not suppose to talk like the world (and changing a couple of letters in a curse word is still worldly speech). We should be holy in all manner of conversation (define "conversation" however you will...it'll still make the point).


Rand