<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Hypocrisy

Monday, July 18, 2005
terrible...

"Pity me, and cry mightily unto God on my behalf. It is shocking if you knew it, to think what a difference there is betwixt my sermons and my own inward life." (John Brown of Haddington)

These words, spoken by the famous Presbyterian minister, pretty much sums up my Christian walk... and I hate it. You have NO IDEA how many posts I have written on this blog, how many sermons I have preached, how much counsel I have given that I myself just can't seem (or just don't care) to live up too. This, to a certain degree, is hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy: The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess.

Now the Faith, I have. So in that sense, I'm no hypocrite. But that little "v-word" in the definition above, that's my problem; that's where we find Rand "the hypocrite". What exactly makes Rand a hypocrite?


"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." (Matthew 5:44)

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." (Matthew 22:37)

"And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks." (Ephesians 5:2-4)

"Pray without ceasing." (1 Thessalonians 5:17)

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness." (1 Timothy 6:6-11)


These verses are just a few examples of near total failures in Rand's life; to his shame. I will not make any excuses, nor am I looking for anyone to make excuses for me. The fact of the matter is we Christians are called to godly obedience. We are not called to SAY one thing and DO the other. I need to shape up.

So, why am I making this public confession? I blog, preach and teach a several matters of faith and the last thing I would want you, dear reader, to think is that I have somehow attained unto some high level of spirituality. The Lord has been extremely gracious to me when it comes to understanding His holy Bible, and for the ability to share this knowledge with others, but how I lament the lack of spiritual progress I have made with all this knowledge.

Friends, pray that I attain unto this charge:

"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: for he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was." (James 1:22-24)

Sincerely,

Rand
"O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" (Romans 7:24)