<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Would You Like Fries With That?

Sunday, May 27, 2007
this sort of thing gives me indigestion...

Yesterday, my wife found this in our mailbox:



This sort of thing drives me crazy. It's the sort of thing that unbelievers bring to my attention when I try to show them the reasonableness and wisdom of the Christian faith.

A "Jesus Burger".

Can you believe that there is a pastor of a Baptist church (Greenbank Community Church is part of the Baptist Fellowship of Evangelicals of Canada), in my city, that looked at the above flyer, read the phrase "try a free Jesus burger", accompanied with an image of the "romanist jesus" handing us a quarter-pounder, and thought: "good stuff! let's distribute this all over the community!"

Unbelievable! I've got indigestion, and I haven't even tried the "jesus burger".

Also, note the message transmitted by the flyer. No Scripture. No reference to the salvation that is in Christ Jesus (no, the burger doesn't count). There is nothing spiritual in the flyer. Quite the opposite, the flyer is extremely carnal: free food, music, entertainment, games... etc.

No doubt, the flyer was prepared to appeal to the flesh of the unconverted. The people who have prepared this flyer would most likely call me a real fool for the way I evangelize. They would say that one has to appeal to the unregenerate on their level in order to bring them into church, where they could be saved. They would think the straight preaching of the Gospel is ineffective and would only "turn sinners off".

How utterly sad. How utterly carnal.

"For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." (Romans 8:5-8)

"To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life." (2 Corinthians 2:16a)


Rand

I guess these folks would have no time for this either!

Labels: