<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, December 08, 2007
from the guy with 'a small mind'...


I worked until eight o'clock, and then ran downtown directly from the lab for our night of street preaching. Never a moments rest when you're a research technician/street evangelist, I tell ya!

Our evangelistic endeavour was, yet again, a quiet one. It wasn't that cold tonight so I expected larger crowds in the marketplace, but still, hundreds of souls heard the gospel of Jesus. Pastor Tim and I preached from our usual street corner to a largely apathetic and, by the end of the night, hateful crowd. I doubt I gave out more than ten Bible tracts, much to my chagrin.

We didn't have a great many conversations either. I did deal with a woman who wondered what would move someone to stand on a street corner with a Bible sign, preaching the Gospel. I explained that only a deep, honest love for the Lord Jesus Christ and his commandments could cause a man to faithfully declare the Gospel of peace. She then explained that she had recently lost a sister to HIV/Hepatitis C (she had contracted both diseases through drug use and/or a very promiscuous lifestyle) and that her siblings death was causing her to consider "religion". I impressed on her that no doubt I must have looked like a real clown in her eyes, standing on a street corner, preaching the Bible on a Friday night, but my clown lifestyle didn't include substance abuse, immorality, or any of the consequences associated with these sins.

"It only makes sense that living life God's way, should be the best way," I assured the woman.

She saw the logic in what I was saying, and took a Bible tract. I don't know if she was honestly considering what I was saying, or if she just wanted to get an idea of what "made me tick", but I hope and pray the Lord will save this woman.

After this conversation, things degenerated quickly. The general apathy of our hearers transformed itself into mockery and hatred; the insults were quite grievous. By the last half hour of our endeavour, I beginning to lose my focus, and I knew it. Everywhere I turned my eyes I saw anger and hostility; every word I heard was a curse or mocking scorn. It really was quite overwhelming. The Lord strengthen me in my inner man by the power of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 3:16).

I would have been a real depressing drive back home after such a dismal night of evangelism, but the Lord put a brother in my way back home to remind me that the Lord still has a people in my city. I was leaving the downtown core when I came up to a road block; the police were checking for drunk drivers. When I drove up to the police check point, I rolled down my window and said:

"Hello officer, I was just preaching the Gospel downtown, so no, I haven't been drinking any alcohol tonight."

The officer mumbled to himself the last section of my phrase as he looked around the inside of my van. He then noticed my Bible on the dashboard.

"Are you evangelical... born-again?" the officer inquired.

"Yes, and yes," I answered.

"Good stuff," he answered, "so am I."

We shook hands and I left him with a sincere: "God bless you, and take care of yourself tonight, my friend."


Rand

Prayer: Lord God in Heaven, You who inhabits eternity, who are praised and glorified by your holy angels in heavenly realms as well as by your saints on Earth, accept the work of this lowly and most common vessel tonight. Use my attempt at fulfilling Your Great Commission as You see fit, and God, please... please, make me, in time, to become a fisher of men. Help me to labour as a faithful servant in hope of the glory that is to come, not looking to the right, or to the left, but always looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith. To You, O Living God, be honour and glory forever and ever. Amen.

Labels: