<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Friday, November 21, 2008
cold streets... warm house...


I run and up down these stairs (4 stories)... over and over again. I feels stupid doing it, and I often fear someone taking notice. Yet this time of the year, I do it 'cause it's the only way for me to keep warm when street preaching; the exercise gets the blood flowing and the warmth can be felt in very little time. So while practically, this is a very intelligent way of warming up, I have to tell you, that as I run up and down this stair case (which is part of a parking garage), with its filthy concrete and the smells of cheap booze, vomit and urine, I can't help but think: "how in the world did I get this gig?

It doesn't take me to long though, that I realize that the gig was handed down by the Lord of my salvation, and that my Friday night of evangelism, stinky stairs and all, is my reasonable service (Romans 12:1). Still though, and I say this with a smile on my face, it is quite a gig. LOL.

Pastor Tim and I were both at our post tonight in the marketplace, declaring the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and offering to one and all some Bible literature. I not sure about pastor Tim, but I didn't give out a whole lot of tracts tonight, but a lot more were given out than would have been given out had I not been in the market tonight! The Lord use the literature that was handed out as He sees fit.

I had a few one-on-one conversations with sinners tonight. The first was with a young man named Vincent. While definitely lost, Vincent had an honesty about him that I enjoyed. This is how our conversation more of less went:

"So, why can't I just be a Christian and not get baptized and not go to church?" Vincent blurted out.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" I asked.

"Yeah," Vincent answered.

"Okay, imagine this," I began, "you tell your girlfriend that you love her, but you never take her out, you never buy her flowers, you never do anything for her, and you don't even think of her as you go through your day. Tell me, Vincent, how long will the relationship last?"

"Not long," Vincent quickly answered, and after a few seconds of quiet reflection, he lifted his head and said: "Ahhhhh... I get it!"

He then took one of my tracts and thanked me for speaking with him. The Lord convict this young man of sin. I truly hope that tonight was the beginning of a wondrous work of God in his life.

The second conversation I had was with a very drunk man, so I don't think anything I said to him got too far. That said, he asked for a tract which I gladly gave him. The Lord use this tract when he sobers up!

Moments later we had a young woman walk up to us, she shook both pastor Tim's hand and mine, and said: "God bless you." She said that the Lord would return "real soon", to which I said, "I hope so!" And that's when things went south. She claimed to know "for sure that it was very soon" and that "she preached this every Sunday at her church". Oh dear.

"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety." (1 Timothy 2:12-15)

With that I close these Friday Night Notes. I have to be up early tomorrow to attend the baptism of dear brother-in-the-Lord. Have a good weekend, dear readers.

Enjoy the Lord's Day, dear saints of God.


Rand

Ps: I know that there are many dear brothers and sisters-in-the-Lord who pray for pastor Tim and I, specifically for our evangelistic endeavours. I want to thank you all. I mean it. It warms my heart to know that I have fellow Christians upholding me in prayer as I labour. I mean I read this comment on my blog tonight, and I was so touched I almost cried. God bless you "witness", you have oft refreshed me with your words, and your spiritual conversation.

Pss: I received these "Friday Night Notes" from brother Robert last week, I meant to post this earlier but never got around to it. The Lord bless your faithful work, dear brother.

Psss: To God be the glory, forever and ever. Amen.

Labels: