<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Thursday Night Notes

Thursday, October 09, 2008
sorry for the curve ball...



This coming weekend, up here in Canada, is Thanksgiving weekend. With this special occasion comes a number of activities and responsibilities, so instead of wearing myself right clean out (which is something I have to avoid at all cost), I decided to go out street preaching a day earlier.

Pastor Tim was teaching a young peoples Bible class tonight, so it was just me and Jesus on the streets of my city. At first I walked around downtown with my Bible sign and offering Bible tracts to all those who wanted some. A few souls took up my offer, but many sighed and gave me a look of disgust. One young man, after reading Romans 6:23 on my Bible sign, went as far as to yell at me from a restaurant patio:

"We're all going to die, with our without sin, so why don't you throw away the sign and get lost, you idiot!"

I usually turn the cheek to such vileness, but tonight, I felt I needed to deal with the man. So I walked up to the man, which made him very uncomfortable... I don't think he was to pleased to be seen talking with a street preacher.

"You're right," I said, "we are all going to die one day. Physically. But you will die spiritually as well my poor friend, and I won't."

He continued cursing, albeit, in a smaller voice. I don't think I got anywhere with the young man, but my actions got me plenty of attention from everyone in the restaurant. Dozens of souls took their time reading the Scriptures on my sign, praise God! The Lord use His Word to work what He wills.

Shortly after this one-on-one exchange, I decided to stand between the entrances of two major malls in the downtown core (the above picture is the place). Hundreds of souls walked by, all of them reading the Scriptures on my sign; I offered Bible tracts and gave out a fair number. I was even blessed, three times no less, by a kindly woman who walked by me; he literally said: "Oh! Bless you! Bless you! Bless you!" Again, the Lord use those tracts as He sees fit.

I spent a little over half an hour between those malls, and then I decided to head back to the marketplace, to the old faithful preaching spot, where I preached repentance unto God and faith in Christ Jesus. I had a couple of one-on-one conversations (some seemed more profitable than others), and again distributed a fair number of tracts. One young man, however, took one of my tracts, ripped it in two, and handed it back to me; I think he felt that was some mighty great statement. Oh well. Can you imagine how such an one will feel when he meets the Lord at judgment? I shudder at the very thought.

I praise God for His help and blessing on me tonight. For over two hours I laboured for the Gospel sakes, and I assure you, it was all by the power of the Living God. I also praise the Lord that one of my work colleagues, who was walking by my preaching spot, accepted one of my Bible tracts. Finally, I praise God that He helped me preach through all sorts of grievous and ungodly distractions (I thought of sharing a few examples with you, but it's kind of gross, and well, I'm sure you can well imagine what manner of folly I see in the marketplace at night time).

With that, I close the notes for this week. Dear readers, have a blessed weekend, and God bless you all!

To my Canadian readers, happy Thanksgiving!

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.
O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever.

(Psaml 136:1-3)


Rand

Labels: