<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, October 23, 2010
feeling like the "weeping prophet"...

I've been reading the book of Jeremiah in my personal / devotional times, and I have to say: do I ever see a lot of parallels with our street preaching ministry and the people of our city. Poor Jeremiah had the unenviable task of preaching judgment against sinful Israel and calling for repentance that he knew full well would never come. You don't have to read to many of my posts to see that our calls to repentance are mostly/vastly ignored and scorned. I suppose the big difference between Jeremiah's ministry and ours is that without a doubt, God is still saving sinners today, while in Jeremiah's day, well, this is mostly what he got for his trouble:

"Thus saith the Lord, stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said: We will not walk therein." (Jeremiah 6:16)

The market was mostly empty tonight. It was bitterly cold out there tonight which most likely kept people home. An hour into our endeavour, it actually started snowing! I had to run up and down a stair case in the parking garage behind our preaching spot in order to keep warm for the two-plus hours we were out there evangelizing for.

Pastor Tim had the bulk of the one-on-one conversations tonight. He spoke to a young Romanist named Paul, and the good preacher told me the conversation was quite profitable. Paul took some Bible literature including a short tract which points out the errors of Romanism, so please remember him in your prayers, dear saints. The Lord saved me out of that wicked, vain religion... here's hoping He will do the same for this young man.

The cursing and mockery wasn't too grievous tonight; probably due to the lower turnout. Less sinners, less trouble, I suppose. There was one man, however who was intent on mocking us and blaspheming the Lord. Twice he came by to mock Pastor Tim and I. The first time he just yelled out blasphemies, when he came around again, he thought it would be real funny to take off his shirt (in the freezing cold), stretch out his arms to make it look like he was the crucified Christ and mock/blaspheme. I just carried on preaching and thankfully the man kept walking and left us alone for the rest of the night. The Lord have mercy on him.

Pastor Tim had to answer, for the 1,374, 453, 293,095, 321 time if he actually thought his evangelistic method "worked". This question was of course posed by a couple who professed faith in Christ Jesus. Pastor Tim told me how he dealt with them and I think he did a great job at explaining why our evangelistic method is biblical and does "work". The whole conversation got me thinking about how I would answer that question in the future.

I think I now know what I'll answer... stay tuned.

There was an insane number of police officers in all of downtown tonight. I don't know what was going on, but I have to say, I felt quite safe tonight. I doubt anyone would have tried to harm us or intimidate us when so many police cruisers drove by our preaching spot. I hope the Lord will save some of those brave men and women in uniform, through the reading and hearing of God's Word.

With that, dear readers, I close this edition of the Friday Night Notes. I can't keep my eyes open. Good night, and have a blessed weekend in the Lord.

Enjoy the Lord's Day, dear saints.


Rand

Labels: