<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, November 25, 2006
welcome to the carnival...

The marketplace had three preachers tonight as brother Laz was once again able to join my pastor and I. This cold November night was by far one of the "wackiest" nights of street preaching I've experienced. Everyone of us found ourselves dealing with people who, for a lack of a better term, were kind of odd. Examples:


My odd encounter:

A deranged man walked up to me as I was preaching and criticized my preaching. Now I'm not saying the man was deranged because he criticized me, I'm saying he was deranged because of the manner by which he criticized me. First, the man was EXTREMELY agitated. He literally trembled. Second, the man slurred his words... alot. I definitely smelled a whole lot of booze on his breath, but I don't think his problem was merely drunkenness. Rather, the man seemed, well, deranged.

"You shouldn't be condemning people," the man angrily said, "you should be offering bread to the hungry, not throwing stones at them!"

"Show me a hungry man, my friend, and I'll buy him a lunch," I calmly replied.

"They're everywhere!" the deranged man shouted angrily.

"Show me one," I calmly replied.

Unable to spot anyone in need of any kind of sustenance, the man became increasingly agitated. With a trembling voice, he started charging me with being an evil, self-glorifying hypocrite.

"Why are you so agitated, my friend?" I politely asked. "Just calm down and tell me, do I know you?"

"No, you don't know me," he answered sternly.

"Do you know me?" I asked.

"No, and I don't want to know you," he answered pridefully.

"Fair enough," I answered, "but then, why are YOU the one coming to me, and if you don't know me, how can you claim with any certainty that I am guilty of any of the charges you are laying against me?"

At this point, the man was clearly muddled, and his confusion just caused him to go further off the deep end. He started biting his finger (yes, he actually repeatedly bit his finger... it was quite a sight), and charged me with playing mind games with him (apparently, I've learned the "old Jedi mind trick"). He then walked away screaming obscenities at me, and I thanked the Lord for being delivered from this harsh, unstable fellow.

"There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked." (Isaiah 48:22)


Brother Laz's TWO odd encounters:

The first came from a small group of charismatics that came by to speak to brother Laz as he was preaching. This small crew actually walked out of a limousine to chat with Laz. Sadly though, encouragement was not in their plans. Instead, these charismatics wanted to pray for Laz to evangelize in a more "loving way"; the whole "repent and believe or you will perish in you sin" thing really wasn't doing it for them.

So here's my poor brother-in-the-Lord, surrounded by these hypocrites who were out partying, having to listen to their vain prayer in which they of course, asked the Lord to give him some sort of "show-y gift" and to teach him to preach a more "positive" message.

I can't remember hearing brother Laz breathe a louder sigh of relief than when those charismatics left.


The second crazy encounter brother Laz had was with Presbyterian minister. This priest of Baal actually had the nerve to declare he was a minister of God, and at the same time rebuke brother Laz's evangelism technique.

"You should go to restaurants with friends and acquaintances instead, and try to speak to them about the Lord," he said.

I don't know if the Presbyterian church in Canada still have the book of Acts in the Bible, but if they do... I know one of their ministers who might want to spend a little more time studying it.


Pastor Tim's odd encounter:

Two young men came by to speak to my pastor as he was walking around with the Gospel sign (probably trying to keep warm). Both men introduced themselves as Christians who had gone to St. Stephens University, a "Bible school" in New Brunswick. At first my pastor accepted their claim, but as they talked for awhile, my pastor became more and more perplexed by their bizarre claims and ideas. Somewhere in the conversation, my pastor inquired:

"Is Jesus Christ God?"

The two men wouldn't answer the question directly. They said Jesus was the Son of God, but wouldn't commit themselves by saying, either way, whether Jesus was actually God. At this point, my pastor realized these two young men were definitely not saved.

"Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son." (1 John 2:22)

At this point, my pastor questions like:

"Are you guys born-again?"

"Do you believe every word of the Bible? Is it the literal Word of God?"

"What makes you Christians?"

Their answers made it clear that they played philosophy with the Scriptures. They denied the inspiration of the Bible, and their concept of what makes a Christian a Christian was faith in... faith. If you don't understand this, dear brothers and sisters, you are not alone. They downplayed the importance of faith in Christ alone, replacing it with just having some faith. At this point, my pastor just let it all out:

"Guys," he began, "let me be clear with the two of you: there isn't ONE CHRISTIAN MOLECULE inside you. You have both been indoctrinated by a school system that have made you 100% unbelievers. The Bible speaks of you when it speaks of some souls who "ever learn and are never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." (2 Timothy 3:7)

The two men got pretty angry at this point, so we put an end to the conversation. In the end, they were quite content in philosophizing with the Scriptures and making them say whatever made sense to them, and so long as they are comfortable doing this, the Holy Spirit isn't doing anything for them.


Before I close the notes, I want to mention a few sweeter moments. I spoke with two men who are just about as low as one can go, I mean they are completely wasted by drugs and alcohol, but they listened to the Gospel tonight. They were both quite respectful and I promised them I would pray for them. Would you join me in praying for George and Noel?

I also dealt with three young ladies. All of them were quite respectful, but two out of the three weren't all that interested in the Gospel. One of them, though, was quite kind and attentive. She asked me when we met for church, and thanked me for sharing the Gospel with her. Was the Lord doing something there? I truly hope so.

And with that, I'm off to bed. I apologize for the lack of blogging these past few weeks, things have been busy and I just can't find enough time to post things that I feel would truly glorify God and be a blessing to you all, dear readers. I hope to have things back to normal in the next few weeks.

Keep me in your prayers, dear saints of God...


Rand
12:40 AM
  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Sam said…

    As i read your blogs on events of your street preaching I am saddened. All of the recollections you write are of people that are drunkards, hypocrites and atheists. Not only that but you are mocking them and their lack of "divine" knowledge. From what I've read you havn't said anything on anyone being saved and walking with the lord, or telling someone that you love them even in the state that they are currentley in. Rand, please take a step back and realizing what kind of message you are sending by saying these things to people. Not only are you not aiding them in any way... you are turning them off of any interest they had in Jesus to begin with. Please Rand, show love

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Friend, you wouldn’t know the Gospel if you tripped over it. And let me assure you that the school you are attending won’t teach you what it is either.

    The Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ is, and has always been an offence to carnal men.

    “Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, and a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.” ( 2 Peter 6-8 )

    On top of that, those who actually repent and come to trust the Lord have and will always be few in number.

    “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:13-14)

    Now caring nothing for the Bible, and not liking this whole concept of few being saved, a false professor/teacher such as yourself, tries to get away with broadening the way. You refuse to let the Gospel of Truth be an “aroma of death unto death to those who are dying” (2 Corinthians 2:16), so you make sinners feel good, IN THEIR SIN. Sinners then go on in rebellion against God, thinking that Jesus loves them anyway… all the way to Hell.

    Sam, you are hypocrite and ignorant of the Way of Truth. Repent and believe on the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Open your Bible, ask God to reveal the truths therein to you, and prosper. The way you are on right now will only condemn you to everlasting fire.

    I know this is hard to take. I know that your first instinct will be to claim I’m a blind, hateful, conceited creep, but I assure you my friend, I’m probably the best friend you’ve ever had. Your best friends are those who tell you the most Truth. It requires much love to stand against the continual waves of insults the wicked hurl at us and remain steadfast in giving them the only thing that can save them: the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

    I hope, I truly hope that the Lord will end up showing you as much grace and mercy as He has shown me… which I assure you is immeasurable!

    Later,

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Anonymous joel mason said…

    rand, i am a student advisor at St Stephen's University and there's a couple things i'd like ot say in regards to your post.
    i appreciate your boldness as you share that Jesus is Lord with people on the street.
    it is a complicated and unsure to share with you a way in which i disagree with a point of view you take in this post.
    i think there is a place for judgement but it is not with people, it is with God. our job is love and truth, mercy, peace and justice. and even those things can get grossly misdirected by our own grasping attempts to make them serve our ends and not God's ends. now i know you want God's ends and not your own, that is clear and i respect that.
    But though Peter was rebuked as a neccesary part of his walk with Jesus, most of his time was spent being encouraged and taught by Jesus as a part of his community. Jesus walked with him on his journey, through his questions. even when Jesus says to Peter, 'get behind me satan!" (presumably worse than having 'not a christina molecule in your body) it is obvious that Peter can the next moment be very close to Jesus. so it is not as simple as saying 'Jesus is God' but in all our interactions seeking to be the incarnation of His power, His truth, His mercy.
    telling people that they are not Christian because they question tenents of the Christian faith is simply not Christ-like. Jesus went after the manner of the religious, their disposition towards those with heavy loads already on them.
    think about the people in our world, go on, think about them. think about the massive oppression they are under and they do not even know it. they don't know it rand! they are oblivious even though they are hit with Jesus stories since they are little kids. even those who are on the Christian journey must question their roots in order that they might pull out the bad ones, those molecules that are not of God.
    i like your intial compassionate approach and i agree that many Christians i know simply have never met a street preacher and all they know is the horrible characatures they see on TV or the worse realities that we see on religious TV shows. i do however think your friend needs to give an apology to those students, perhaps over this sight, so that he does not remain in sin. we all do it but we must move away from accidentally tripping up those younger in the path of following Jesus, or the milestone will be for us.
    peace of Christ
    joel mason
    community advisor, SSU

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Joel,

    SSU is an ungodly institute which forms agnostics, not Christians. This is proven by your website, by your comment, and the two students we dealt with a few weeks ago now.

    "i think there is a place for judgement but it is not with people, it is with God."

    Nonsense. Such a view makes Matthew 7:15-29 of absolute none effect.

    "telling people that they are not Christian because they question tenents of the Christian faith is simply not Christ-like."

    Nonsense. If there is no good fruit, there is no good tree. Your disposition is contrary to the example left by the Lord in Matthew 23, by John the Baptist in Matthew 3:7, by Peter in Acts 8, and Paul in 1 Timothy 1:20.

    The "no-judgement" theology is a wicked, unbiblical theology.

    "even those who are on the Christian journey must question their roots in order that they might pull out the bad ones, those molecules that are not of God."

    Oh boy... Joel... you may be a very religious man, but you most certainly don't know the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Joel, if a person is NOT born-again, they are NOT on "the Christian journey". And if one is born-again, such an one does NOT "question the tenets of the Christian faith". Why? Because:

    "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

    "i do however think your friend needs to give an apology to those students..."

    Oh dear, you'll have to do a far better job at convincing me of sin, my poor friend.

    "peace of Christ"

    "There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked." (Isaiah 48:22)

    Repent and believe on the Gospel.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Ry said…

    Consider these passages concerning judgment of others - in their context (KJV):

    Matt. 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    Matt. 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
    Matt. 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
    -----
    Luke 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
    Luke 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
    Luke 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

    By the way, I think the expression, "peace of Christ," is a common farewell that is usually directed at the recipient not the sender. It appears as though your application of this verse would, therefore, be referring to you.

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Rand said…

    Ry,

    Let me show you why you are not a Christian. Let me show you why you are NOT a Bible person:

    First, you quote the first three verses of Matthew 7, but you refuse to consider these verses in light of Matthew 7:15-29. You quote Luke 6:35-37, but quit there. You don't quote Luke 6:43-49. Why do you do this? Because you care very little in understanding and obeying the Scriptures.

    I am a Bible-believing, born-again Christian. I read and study the Bible. Not just part of the Bible. All of it. When I hit a difficult passage, I make every attempt to apply it, no matter how uncomfortable it may make me.

    Case and point: You take the first three verses of Matthew 7, and that's "king" for you. You make Matthew 7:15-29 of complete none effect. I, on the other hand, consider both passages and apply both; which means, I do not judge with unrighteous judgment (such as judging according to race, social class, personality), but I do judge the spiritual fruit of men. I do this in order to recognize the true saint, from the wicked false teacher.

    Ry, your type of "Christianity" is a dime-a-dozen. There really is no wonder why the church is so weak today, when we consider just how many of you there are filling "church" pews every Sunday. Beware Ry, your hypocrisy will one day be brought to light:

    "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see." ( Revelation 3:15-18 )

    Repent and believe in the Gospel (the whole Gospel) of the Lord Jesus Christ.

    (and btw... I know all about "Peace of Christ" being a signature like "Blessings" and such... while I believe it is clear you wanted to scorn, I want to make sure all understood that what I wanted to express was that Joel knew nothing of the "Peace of Christ.)

     
  • Post a Comment  
    Permalink