<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

No Notes

Friday, April 08, 2011
full disclosure...

While, in the past, I have opted to keep my medical problems confidential, this time I'll share.

I was unable to go out for our ususal night of evangelism; the culprit that kept me home is pictured right next to this paragraph. First, and before I begin, you need to understand, dear readers, that I'm 100% Canadian; which means I love hockey. I love it. Very much. Alot. I watch it, and read about it, and once a week, I play it in a league organized by my workplace.

Well, two weeks ago I was at the rink trying my best to keep up with a really high tempo game (and doing a poor job of it). I had managed to get behind the other team's defensemen and was preparing to receive a breakaway pass straight to the other team's net. Problem is, my defenseman fired a hard pass to me before I was set and the puck struck me on my right side, at the bottom of my ribs. Everyone on the ice and on the benches echoed my "ouch!"

I felt a sharp pain when the puck nailed me, and I suspected that my ribs were bruised, but I "took one for the team" and continued playing. I went 4-5 days where I knew something was wrong with my ribs, but the pain/discomfort didn't slow me down too much. I even made it for hockey a week after the incident. It was after that game, that the pain got worse. Two days after my second hockey game, I was in agony. Walking, coughing, bending down... all of it made me howl with pain. So I went to the hospital.

After a six hour wait, I saw a doctor who immediately sent me to radiology for X-rays. The doctor, after reviewing the X-rays said he couldn't make out any fractures but that I had likely seriously bruised my ribs. So he gave me some painkillers and anti-inflammatory pills. I have to admit, I kind of felt like a whimp at that point. All that pain and not so much as a hairline fracture!?!

The next morning, I got a call from the hospital. It was a doctor who had reviewed my X-rays. She told me that I had not one, but two nasty fractures (Rib 10 and 11, I believe). The treatment was the same (painkillers and anti-inflammatory pills), but she wanted me to know so that if there were any complications in the future, I would have the right information. I thanked her, and felt pretty good about not being so whimpy after all!

So for the last two days, I've been home, limiting my movements and swallowing pills that only seems to take the edge off (though I'm thankful for that). I know it could take weeks for ribs to heal, but I hope that after a week of being careful, which sadly means an early end to my hockey season, I might be at my preaching spot next week.

Please pray to that end, dear saints!


Rand

Ps: the radiologist was kind of snarky... when she asked me how I had injured my ribs, I said "hockey"... she replied: "you old hockey boys are my job security!"

Labels:

11:37 PM
  • At 9:37 AM, Anonymous LarryHu said…

    "After a six hour wait" Six Hour Wait? Are they attempting to let you heal naturally before seeing you?
    At any rate, praise God that we are fearfully & wonderfully made. Also rejoice that when we continue to proclaim the eternal Gospel; we can be re-made into His image, that of His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ!
    Praying with you my brother.

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Anonymous a witness said…

    Brother,

    I'm very sorry to hear of your injury. I've never had broken ribs but have heard they're as painful as you described. I'm praying for your quick recovery.

    And, you probably won't hear this from anyone else, so, here goes...

    Might it be that the Lord allowed this as a way to encourage you to consider quitting the hockey league? Or at least to evaluate the place that sports (your love of hockey) has in your life? Would you like to encourage your son to pursue hockey and attend the games? Do you think such a passion in his life (as you have) will draw him closer to the Lord and to holiness?

    Sports are the idol of the American man, and Satan has kept many a Christian off the front lines by getting them involved in sports.

    I don't think anyone would argue that hockey comes from the world. James 4:4. 1 John 2:15. There's not much more that needs to be said.

    Physical fitness is important, but only when kept in balance. 1 Timothy 4:8.

    How about instead exercising at home with your sons? You can stay in great shape through body-weight workouts (push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, push-up jumps, squats, etc.), and even 15 minutes, 3 or 4 days a week will do great. You get time with your sons, and you're getting exercise in a safe way - plus you're avoiding hockey (which is probably the idol of many a Canadian, eh?).

    Some things to prayerfully consider.


    God bless you, brother!

    I continue to pray for you on Friday evenings.

    Sincerely,
    Your brother in Christ...

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heal quickly brother! Thank you for the update. By the way... Did you score? And did your team win?

     
  • At 1:47 AM, Blogger Rand said…

    Pete,

    The game in which I was hit by the puck was a disastrous loss. The game where I aggravated my injury, I got two goals and we won the game.

    I suppose I can find solace in the fact that my last game of the season was a good one!

    Witness,

    You make valid points, well worth future consideration. However, at present, I don't believe sports are necessarily evil, or altogether vain. Up until now, I have encouraged my children to play team sports. I believe there are benefits, physical and spiritual.

    One thing I will confess however... and I will not cover or make excuses for this sin: I spend way too much time watching hockey (especially this time of the year).

    Rand

     
  • Post a Comment  
    Permalink