<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Heading For An Election

Monday, April 25, 2005
Lord, give us a better government...

For well over a decade now, the Liberal Party have been in power in Canada (and yes, the name says it all, ungodly liberals!). They won 3 consecutive majority governments, but in the last elections, under a cloud of scandal, they only managed to win a minority government. Well, the rumors are becoming facts, and the opposition parties have the power to force another election; and that, only a year after the last one.

As I am writing this post, the Conservatives (a watered-down Republican party), the New Democratic Party (if Satan votes in Canada, this is where he places his ballot) and the Bloc Quebecois (a Quebec based separatist party) are fully engaged in polling the canadian population to gage whether an early election is in their favour.

Well yesterday, I got a phone call. It was a representative of the Conservative Party of Canada. This is a summary of our conversation (my words are in CAPITALS):


-Hello, my name is Jim and I represent Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party of Canada and we were wondering, Mr. Rand, if we can count on your support in an early election.

-MY FRIEND, I'M A CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTALIST, THERE IS ONLY ONE PARTY I CAN POSSIBLY VOTE FOR IN ANY ELECTION, AND YES, THAT'S THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY.

-Ooookay! (I could tell that really made his day) Then I was wondering Mr. Rand if I could ask you five quick questions which you can answer with "agree", "disagree" or "not sure"?

-SURE, WHY NOT.

-The tax burden on Canadians is too high and it is time for some tax cuts.

-AGREE!

-It is time for stricter rules for immigration in order to safeguard our country and our American neighbours from criminals and terrorists.

-AGREE.

-We need to work closer with our American allies on such projects as "Missile Defense".

-AGREE.

-We need to maintain the traditional definition of marriage.

-OH YEAH...AGREE!!!

-Hee hee hee...right on (he actually said that). Finally Mr. Rand, it is better for parliament to legislate on social issues rather than differ decisions to unelected judges in the courts.

-YEP! I AGREE AGAIN!



And on that note, Jim thanked me for my time and support and we both said goodbye. I couldn't help thinking that after he hung up, he probably had a big smile on his face, and then hoping that he would be talking with more eligible voters like Rand that afternoon. I hope he got his wish, I really do.

To be honest with you, I don't push much hope in anything particularly good coming from politics in my country. My faith is in Jesus, not Stephen Harper, George W. Bush or any other "right-wing, Christian-friendly" political leader. That being said, there is very little doubt that Christian fair much better under Conservative leaders, so I certainly wish Mr. Harper victory.


Rand's prayer: Lord, your will be done the country of my sojourning; show it as much grace and mercy as You would show, for my sakes, for the sakes of my children, and indeed, for the sakes of my brethren in Christ. You are in sovereign control of every king, president and prime-minister on this Earth. You raise them up, you cast them down. All this for Your Own glory and honour, and no one can say: "What doest thou?"

Whatever You have planned for Canada, help me to stand and to withstand, that I may contribute my flame to a revival bonfire, or be a small, yet bright candle in darkness of apostasy.

I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Saviour, amen.