<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 1:13)

Friday Night Notes

Saturday, May 14, 2011
avoiding the rain...

Wasn't sure if I'd be at my post tonight for our customary night of street evangelism. It had been a really busy week at work, Saturday would also be quite busy, and seasonal allergies was dragging me down. As if that wasn't enough, the weather forecast was calling for rain. By the dinner time however, with no raindrops falling, I called Pastor Tim and convinced him to go out preaching with me earlier than our usual time; that way, I'd be back home early enough to rest and recuperate, and by God's grace, we'd put in a few hours of evangelism before the rain arrived.

We got to our usual preaching spot around 6:30pm, and got to work, preaching the Gospel of Jesus and giving out Bible tracts. The marketplace was packed with people; without a doubt, the warm season is upon us! Thousands of souls walked passed us and our Bible signs, hearing or reading the Word of God. O that the Lord would save through the preaching of His Word tonight!

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17)

The first hour of evangelism was quite good, with many Christians coming by, offering kind words and encouragement. I recall one man driving by me in his car, rolling down his window and with a "thumb up" saying: "God bless you, my brother, keep up the good work!" Pastor Tim also received a number of hand shakes from souls obviously favourable to our efforts.

The second hour was a bit more challenging. Inevitably, the mockers and scorners came, offering everything from the one-finger-salute to loudly blaspheming the Lord and His Gospel with vile words. There were also the ungodly women, who despite the temperature barely touching 17 degrees Celsius (or 62 Fahrenheit), were out in short-shorts, and their breasts practically bursting out of their tiny, tight tops. The only two decently dressed women I dealt with tonight were nominal Muslims (no hijabs, lots of makeup, and definitely up to no good in the market), and they wasted my time trying to convince me of the merits of the Islamic faith (a faith they obviously didn't have much time for in any practical sense). What a mess.

Hour three was a bit of an improvement. I had a long conversation with two men; one a complete fool, the other seemed opened to the Scriptures. I did my best to ignore the nonsense ravings of the one, while answering the good and honest questions of the other. The curious and kind man's name was Michael. He took a Bible tract and apologized for the folly of his friend, and thanked me for speaking with him. I pray that the Lord will reveal Himself to Michael, if He wills.

As my conversation with Michael came to end, the rain started pouring. With three hours of street evangelism done, we made our way home. The Lord use our work as He sees fit.

On my way to catch the bus home, I saw and spoke to some brothers who were also preaching the Gospel downtown. These were the Open-Air Campaigners, an organized evangelistic group (sadly, fairly arminian) who labour across Canada and the United States. The man who heads up this ministry in my city, Brother Layton, is a good man. Remember him and his friends in your prayers, dear saints.

Have a blessed weekend, and a glorious Lord's Day...


Rand

Labels:

12:30 AM
  • At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey brother! Good to see you were able to make it out there to share the Gospel despite the impending weather.

    I will be praying for you on Friday nights while I am at work. I will set up a reminder on my work calendar.

    God bless you Rand. And TM and the children also!

    Pete ><>

     
  • Post a Comment  
    Permalink